OS X 10.6.2 is out Intel Atom support not included

chief

Prime VIP
OS X 10.6.2 is out: Intel Atom support not included

######

Apple pushed out OS X 10.6.2 today, and while the latest Snow Leopard update fixes a whole slew of bugs, it introduces one major problem for netbook hackintosh builders: It doesn’t seem to work with the Intel Atom processor. It’s not clear whether Apple would have intentionally broken Atom support in this release to discourage people from installing the operating system on netbooks. But Atom compatibility is clearly not a high priority for Apple since the company doesn’t make any products that use the processor.
There had been some reports over the past week or so that pre-release builds of OS X 10.6.2 did or didn’t work with Atom. But it looks like the final build that was released today falls into the not-working category.

It’s very possible, (perhaps even inevitable) that sooner or later a hacker will figure out some way to modify the OS to support Atom powered netbooks. But for right now, if you have OS X installed on your netbook, you’ll probably want to hold off on downloading the update.

Update: In case you were wondering what kind of errors you would get if you did try installing OS X 10.6.2 on a netbook, MyDellMini forum member Crisu reports that the computer fails to boot and then tries rebooting… over and over again. Sounds like fun, no? via OS X Daily

Update 2: And now you can see the endless reboot cycle for yourself thanks to molder. The video is embedded after the break.

OS X 10.6.2 is out: Intel Atom support not included

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Re: OS X 10.6.2 is out Intel Atom support not incl

I was never a fan of MacOS, Most people I know who have macs are also double booting into windows.
So I wonder why anyone would be so keen to illegally install an unsupported OS when they have a choice of Windows or uBuntu.

chief

Prime VIP

osx86 is legal, although apple may argue you actually buy an install disk :p

Discussion of OS X on non-Apple hardware is allowed on Neowin. The amendment to the rules was conclusively made after much discussion among our staff. The primary reasoning behind this is a 1984 Federal Court ruling specifically makes it illegal for a company to force their users to install the OS on specific hardware. Which is ultimately the reason we're now allowing this discussion.

OS X on non-Apple Hardware Discussion - Neowin Forums

DATA GENERAL CORP. v. DIGIDYNE CORP. , 473 U.S. 908 (1985)

wow. These people keep trying to mess with hackers. I have Mac OS X 10.5 on my custom built Pentium D running with Vanilla Kernel :D still running great.